Melbourne is the fastest growing city in Australia. The city's population is projected to grow from 4.6 million to almost 8 million – with Victoria's total population set to top 10 million by 2051.
This growth, in combination with a changing climate, increased globalisation and congestion are testing the resilience of Melbourne's built and natural environment. We need to plan for this growth and change.
That's why Plan Melbourne is so important - it reflects the changing needs of our city and state – creating a blueprint for action that will define the future shape and sustainability of Melbourne.
The outcomes Plan Melbourne seeks to achieve are:
- Melbourne will be a productive city that attracts investment, supports innovation and creates jobs
- Melbourne provides housing choice in locations close to jobs and services
- Melbourne has an integrated transport system that connects people to jobs and services and goods to market
- Melbourne is a distinctive and liveable city with quality design and amenity
- Melbourne is a city of inclusive, vibrant and healthy neighbourhoods
- Melbourne is a sustainable and resllient city
- Regional Victoria is productive, sustainable and supports jobs and economic growth